Sunday 20 January 2008

Well done, India!

Congratulations to India on winning the third Test of the current series against Australia at the WACA by 72 runs. Especially as no overseas team, barring legendary Caribbean sides, has won in Perth since 1985-86.

Given what happened in Sydney a fortnight ago, India's convincing victory will surely go down as one of their finest Test wins.
An entertaining ninth-wicket partnership between Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark gave a 16,000-strong crowd plenty of merriment, but it proved to have only nuisance value, as India ended Australia's stunning 16-match winning streak.

This shows that - after coming out of the quagmire of controversy off the field - the greatest game in the world is still capable of producing great and fair sport with brilliant results.

As Australia won the first two Tests in Melbourne and Sidney, India still needs to win the fourth, which starts on the 24th in Adelaide, to square the series. I hope they will and wish them luck.

IND: 1st innings: 330 (98.2 overs) / 2nd innings: 294 (80.4 overs)
AUS
: 1st innings: 212 (50.0 overs) / 2nd innings: 340 (86.5 overs)

5 comments:

THE EMERALD ISLANDER said...

I share your joy over India's win in the third Test of the current series. And winning at the WACA in Perth is quite something else.
It is a long time that I was there, but I still remember the "Fremantle Doctor" in the afternoon, changing not only the climate but also the playing conditions.

Thank you also for the kind comments you left on my weblog over the past few weeks. I am glad you like what I write and hope you will visit often and keep enjoying the entries I write.

Alexander "Sunny" Bergen said...

Oh yes, the Fremantle Doctor... that can indeed change match conditions in Perth.

Thanks for visiting and for your comment.

THE EMERALD ISLANDER said...

You are welcome. Being a cricketer myself, although no longer active, I am glad to have found your weblog and enjoy reading it.

And it appears that you take quite some interest in my weblog as well.
Isn't it great what modern computer technology does to bring complete strangers into contact with each other?

Alexander "Sunny" Bergen said...

Indeed, it is. And I am glad we have made contact. Seems that we both can tell each other things worth reading.

Did you ever play in England? Or just in Ireland?

Unknown said...

I share your joy over India's win in the third Test of the current series.Yes, i am glad as a Indian team.This team always prove their power.bye.